Thursday, November 14, 2013

1984 by George Orwell

3475269 

War is peace
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength
I had expected quite a lot from this book. Unfortunately it did not live up to my expectations. Eventhough the subject, a totalitarian regime, was very heavy the story seemed boring to me. Winston Smith was a pretty flat main character. That is something that I would be able to overlook because of the environment he lives in, but what really made the story a little boring was the fact that at some point Winston gets a book about the totalitarion regime he lives under and many chapters of 1984 consist of chapters from that book. If it had given me any new insights into how the system worked it could have been interesting, but it didn't tell me anything new. Also, in a non-fiction book I would expect to find this sort of information, but not in a novel. 

I'm not really sure why I felt about this book the way I do. It was clear that the setting was dystopian and a scary place to live, but somehow I didn't really feel that fear.

Spoiler
The only thing I appreciated about the book was the fact that the ending was really blurry because Winston had kind of lost his mind because of all the torturing.

Did you read the book? What did you think of it? Am I completely alone in my not liking the book?


2 comments:

  1. I have to confess that I started this book and never finished it. I keep thinking I'll try again someday, but it hasn't happened yet. So, no, you're not alone!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness, haha. For me it really was a struggle to get through the book.

      Delete